Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Lawn Bowling Practice:Quantifying Progress

The Author delivers

It is important to measure how you are doing with your lawn bowls. There are a number of methods of quantifying your draw bowling skill. I use a method I have devised called measuring the 'median of medians'. The method is described:

http://greenbowler.blogspot.ca/2013/04/median-of-medians-as-measure-of.html

I bowl three bowls to a centered jack at random lengths and measure the second-best bowl's distance from the jack. This is repeated between 9 and 15 times. The median value of these recorded bowls is the 'median of medians'. I just finished a test on the James Gardens synthetic surface which is running about 15 seconds. My 'median of medians' value was 49 inches or just about 4 feet. This is the second-best I have ever recorded. My best bowl in each end was approximately twice as good, meaning that a bowl better than two feet from the jack would usually be needed for an opponent to score. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.