Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2020

Another Minor Change in My Own Delivery after Scrutinizing the Pros








In recent blog articles, I have examined the delivery styles of some of the top-ranked indoor lawn bowlers using slow-speed and stop-action footage. This instructed me more clearly whose delivery I most resembled and from whose I most diverged. My overall body movement most resembled David Gourlay’s. My grip and hand position most resembled Stuart Anderson’s. 


The Small Change


This analysis motivated me to make one small change in my own delivery. Stuart Anderson, alone among all the bowlers whom I looked at closely, was the only one who instead of using a Bryant twist in his backswing, instead, tilted his bowl while in the ready position, took it back tilted, and only straightened his wrist during his forward swing before releasing his bowl.


I have found that if I use a Bryant twist as I draw the bowl back by changing the center of mass of the bowl it causes a 'jiggle' in the otherwise smooth draw-back. This is avoided with Anderson's technique.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.