Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2020

David Bryant's Secret connecting Length and Line




David Bryant has made a Youtube video teaching lawn bowling. In a snippet between 33:50 and 34:45 minutes into the presentation, he says that from his set position on the mat before delivery, his eyes switch back and forth between focussing on the stare point on his aim line and looking at the location of the jack target. He continues switching his focus back and forth between them until he feels comfortable and then, concentrating on his stare point, he delivers his bowl.


 I have never heard this advice before but based on my own subsequent imitation on the rink, I can confirm it does improve results! 


The reason it works I can only speculate. Perhaps it better links considerations of line and length into one operation. It doe not burden you to remember the required length while choosing line but rather refreshes that memory just an instant before commencing the delivery action.


Try it. I feel this is a significant insight that advances my bowling.



2 comments:

  1. He could be visualizing the swing of the bowl into the head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting... I've consistently done this sort of continual scanning from jack to target point on the mat - before settling on the target point. I think it does somehow subliminally firm up the weight requirement. Certainly I never consiously do any calculations- but it just 'feels' like its subtly reinforcing the distance.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your own insights and experience.