Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Overcoming Rubbish Bowling



As I have been reporting, this winter’s bowling in Portugal’s Algarve region has been problematic to say the least. Today my wife and I had our last roll up at the Valverde LBC. We fly home on April 1st
The friendliness is terrific but what I have missed is the opportunity to get out on a rink alone and just practice deliveries one after another with a couple of sets of identical bowls. 
Today I played lead in a pairs game and just concentrated on delivering the jack with a consistent 45 degrees of backswing and smooth rhythm speed as I brought my body forward and particularly emphasized making sure that I walked off the front of the mat following the bowl a few steps as I released my bowl. This allowed me to swing through with a more relaxed arm. The extra elevation in the backswing provided extra velocity so that I didn’t have to give any final thrust at release. I could consequently hold the bowl more gently.

I left Valverde for another year with a more confident feeling.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.