Search This Blog

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Squatting Helps Choosing Your Stare Point in Lawn Bowls


I have found that choosing a stare point about 5 meters in advance of the front edge of the mat works best for me. When helping to instruct beginners, I often make a chalk mark that far out at approximately the correct angle for their bowls’ bias. This way the beginner gets a clearer idea of whether (s)he is properly controlling their delivery angle.

The rest of us must struggle to identify slight imperfections in the grass or carpet to stare at. I have found recently that squatting on the mat while looking down at the far bank helps me choose a stare point that is truly on the aim line. There is a bonus. After I stand up and assume my erect delivery stance, all this time holding that stare point, I deliver my bowl more quickly, because the longer I have to focus on my stare point the more likely my view of it will slip! As a consequence, I bowl better and faster.

2 comments:

  1. October 2016
    Squatting is unnecessary so long as you bend forward at the waist when taking your line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. April 2017
    Whatever brings your stare point and your aiming point on the forward bank simultaneously into your field of vision so you can see the latter exactly behind the former.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your own insights and experience.