Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Don’t give Up On Your Aim Line Just Because One Bowl Misfires


Part of my practice routine is to bowl between two chalk marks separated by a space the diameter of a jack. These two marks are placed 5 meters in advance of the front edge of the mat.

 This way I get unambiguous visual feedback about how precise my control of line is. But, when I was doing this, I discovered a curious thing. Sometimes my line is right-on-the-money but still the bowl ends up very far away from the resting place of all the other practice bowls delivered before and after the suspect one. If I was in a competition, I might take this bad outcome from a single delivery as evidence that my line was wrong and I might deliver the next bowl wider or narrower as the case required. What this practice evidence showed me was that such a change could be completely wrong. I may just have encountered a misfire. The right course is probably just to continue subsequent bowling with no change in aim line. It is only if you are hitting your aim line- and two consecutive bowls go errant in the same way- that it is proven that it is your aim line that needs to change.

I got these sometimes erratic results on a synthetic carpet using fairly narrow Taylor Vector VS bowls while bowling diagonally on the green from corner to corner. (I do this to practice the firmer delivery I need on the slower natural grass.)  I could actually see, in the case of some of these misfired bowls, that the bowl tried to get over a seam, failed,
’backed up’, and came at the seam again. Therefore, this observation might not be general but just particular to narrow bowls on a fast  synthetic surface with slightly raised seams. Because changing after one errant bowl has caused me problems before though, I don't think so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.