Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

It’s the Backswing not the Follow Through that is More Important

The time, tunnel-vision, and introspection I have applied to my follow-through after releasing a bowl is substantial. I have attributed so many missed shots to this or that error in releasing the bowl. For example: my hand came up too high or not enough; my palm turned inward; my arm came across my body; my grip was imprecise; my little finger should be raised more or my baby index got in the way and caused a swerve. Well folks, my experience, little as it is, is that a different factor is more important than any of the usual combinations of the above mentioned putative failings. For me, it is the backswing that is overwhelmingly important. It should be slow, deliberate and critically- your delivery arm needs to be tight enough to your side as you draw it back to brush your body. Only if this happens will the bowl easily and naturally follow your aim line.
The corollary of this is to remove all bulky objects from the pants pocket on the delivery arm side. They will and should ( if you are doing it right) interfere with a proper delivery.
 


1 comment:

  1. If you use the Shooters' stance the comment that your delivery arm needs to be tight enough to your side as you draw it back to brush your body would not apply.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your own insights and experience.