Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

How Does the Skip Provide the Correct Grass for Teammates?


I was playing in a tournament an all novice triples tournament at Heritage Greens Kitchener Ontario on Sunday. One of my teammates turned out to be an excellent  junior bowler. After the first game, when I saw that he bowled better than the rest of the team, I asked him if he would skip the remaining two games because his bowls were consistently the closest of ours to the jack, but, because he was lead the opponents had many shots at displacing them. Owen and Grant made some remarkable shots but they could not overcome my extraordinarily substandard play, so we lost all our matches.

But that is beside my point here. This young  Owen fellow stood to whichever side I planned to bowl and indicated with his feet what my aim point should be. At first I, foolishly it turned out, used what I had calculated should be my line with my Vector VS bowls, but when that gave a bad outcome I tried taking the line running right to his feet. Owen was right over and over! The bowl went beautifully so long as I laid it down on this line (which wasn’t often that day). My question is: how does a skip do this? That is; choosing where to place his feet to signal the grass while looking only at the jack and then back towards me on the mat. He must be estimating the angle needed for my bowl just from seeing my previous bowl that, incredible to me, he only observed from directly behind the jack.

I ordinarily select my stare point by choosing a line based on an object or mark at the forward ditch. Owen and those like him have another method. What is it? How do you learn it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.