Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2024

Delivering a Useful Back Bowl is at least Five Times Easier than a Useful Blocke



Recently I wrote a Greenbowler blog article on the subject of making block shots easier. Afterward, in some practice sessions following this advice, wherein I assessed whether these attempts actually provided the protection sought, I discovered that only a small percentage of the blocking bowls I tried delivering were effective.


On the other hand, putting in strategically placed back bowls was at least five times easier than bowling a successful block shot.


Covering the respotting position ( on the center line two meters out from the forward ditch )seemed to be the action of choice if the opposition otherwise would have the closest bowl there.


In addition, I found an unexpected advantage in delivering any back bowls that were aimed to finish midway between the centre line and one of the boundaries. When delivering these, I sometimes found that the draw needed to reach these locations was quite different from what I would have guessed. This information would prove useful in playing to displaced jacks later in a match!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.