Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

True Shoulder & Imaginary Shoulder at Lawn Bowls




The true shoulder in a lawn bowl’s delivery is that point on the path of the lawn bowl at which it is furthest displaced from the center line. This is the point at which it ceases moving towards the rink boundary and starts returning towards center rink. A perfectly delivered bowl actually rolls over the point that is this ‘true shoulder.’


The imaginary shoulder is that spot on your aim line that is the same distance down the rink as the true shoulder. The imaginary shoulder is the stare point one aims at when preparing to deliver a bowl from the mat.


This distinction had never been taught to me. The difference is taught in the following reference.


https://www.wivenhoebowls.club/bowls-tactics/


Heretofore, I have been taking as my stare point an imaginary spot on my imaginary aim line from 3 to 5 meters in front of the mat line. I had been disregarding every teaching that one should choose as stare point the [true] shoulder of your imagined delivery path because I realized that doing so would cause narrow bowling. Choosing as stare point the imaginary shoulder, however, is consistent with theory and needs to be considered seriously.


Taking the imaginary shoulder as one’s stare point has the advantage that it keeps the jack in your field of vision, makes visualization of the complete bowl’s path top of mind and so possibly improves weight control. 


1 comment:

  1. Good post. I once asked a distinguished (National and International) bowler about aiming point and they mentioned the shouider (or apex). When I asked for the definition, they gave your 'true shoulder answer'. It surprised me because I knew aiming at that point would bring the bowl narrow - and I just surmised they were being a little loose with language and really meant your 'imaginary shoulder'.
    On a related note, I've always taken my line on the far bank - and scanned back and forth from the mark to the jack. However, I do find that that posture does create a little neck strain and I've been contemplating going to a spot a few meters out. I just need to make sure that this doesnt mess up my weight.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your own insights and experience.