Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Revisiting the Running Shot for Taking Out an Opposing Bowl at Lawn Bowls







Sometimes I forget what I have already been taught; so, it is a good thing that I reread my own posts occasionally! While I was working on a blog about removing an opponent’s single shot bowl, I vaguely recollected that the ’running shot’  was somehow connected with this. I found my article and guess what? - I was improperly using  drive and yard-on shots, each of which employs a different technique.

Rather than just linking to my original blog article I am reproducing the section describing the running shot here. I have subsequently followed the instructions and can confirm that the method works!

Running Shot


 The running shot, it is generally agreed, is more accurate than the drive shot. It is only when many bowls must be dispersed that the extra energy of a drive shot is needed. The running shot is purposed for a precise excision of bowl(s) from the head while the drive is a grenade into the head! In common practice, the drive is often used when the running shot is a better choice. The delivery of the running shot begins with the delivery arm holding the bowl hanging vertical and the body bent from the waist to bring the bowl close to the ground. Some players use a little backswing for this shot but no backswing is preferred. In setting a target point, reduce the draw width by two thirds and use this new aim line to set a target on that new line next to the object to be displaced. All running shots are delivered with the same weight: ditch weight. Swing the bowl a time or two along the aim line. The shot is delivered by pushing off with the stationary foot and taking a big step forward close and parallel to the aim line pulling the bowl with your body movement and pushing the bowl along the aim line to the target with your arm muscles. The idea is that consistency in the length of step and in the application of muscular force through the arm and fingers will produce a reproducible weight that is at least ditch weight. The backswing is minimized because it is this swing than can most often throw your body off line and cause aiming inaccuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.