Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Lawn Bowling from the Shooters Stance



I am very reluctant to suggest even to novice bowlers that they change their delivery after committing one delivery to 'muscle memory' but I am going to do it. I have watched the two teaching videos below and I have tried what they recommend. I have identified what is being recommended with what I am seeing world class bowlers like Alex Marshall MBE and Paul Foster MBE execute on youtube. I have tried the method out. Already I can see a difference in favor of the shooter’s stance! I can feel the improved stability in my body at that critical moment when I step forward with my advancing foot.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b9cKvPeWj4&spfreload=10


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkKgJWDq1GA


There is perhaps an additional huge advantage that may be related to this change. I am left handed. I was suffering from plantar faciitis in my left foot, which is my anchor foot. I suspected that this condition was being caused or at least agravated in my case by the stress created by the unbalance that was occurring at the moment that all my weight moved onto this foot when I was pushing my weight forward into my bowling swing. This hunch seems to be supported by the unusual wear pattern on the sole of my bowling shoes. My left, the anchor shoe had a worn spot, not at the edge where it is commonly found, but right at the center of the heel! The shooter’s stance, by giving me a more stable base, seems to have relieved the condition. To be fair I placed orthodic insoles into my bowling shoes about the same time, so this wasn’t exactly one variable at a time experimentation. 

Whatever works, right!  





6 comments:

  1. August 22nd 2016
    I have made one small adjustment from the delivery taught in the video. In my backswing I now use a 45 degree 'Bryant twist' because when I studied my backswing in a full length mirror it did not flow exactly back along my aim line. With the slight twist this was corrected and also my swing became more relaxed and fluid.As I say in the blog, I wouldn't recommend any changes once you have bowled with a particular delivery for four years- there is too much unlearning to do; but, this is a very minor change that felt integrated after one week's play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dropped this change after trying it for a few weeks more. It is just not necessary and adds nothing. In fact my ability to hit mt stare point deteriorated significantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been noted on line that adopting the shooter's stance can reduce or eliminate the problem of dumping bowls because it separates lowering your body from the actual delivery action making it easier to bring your arm closer to the ground for delivery. This is mainly because with one leg already advanced your body has already been lowered slightly.
    The reference
    http://www.getagameofbowls.com/gggazette/shootstance.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started bowls in 1961 and at the time was playing 1st grade Rugby League with Newtown.(Sydney).My bowls coach was the great Frank Soars.After 55 years of Bowls at top level,I am now using the Bowlers Stance due to knee injury and find it far superior to stance I have used for so many years.My balance is now as good as when I started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After three years using the shooters stance, I can find no advantage in the traditional 'feet parrallel' delivery so long as you keep your advancing foot pointed along the delivery line when using it. Now, in Canada, the shooters stance is taught as an alternative to the traditional stance.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your own insights and experience.