Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Finding and Holding my Stare Point Depends Critically upon the Green’s Material Makeup

My best lawn bowling results occur when I can stare at a distinct physical mark on the rink surface about 5 meters in front of the mat on my aim line. Then when I deliver a bowl, I can see whether it passes over my mark or not. Consequently, I know whether a bad result occurs because I have missed my stare point or because I have a wrong stare point.
The easiest situation for feedback on this count arises playing on grass in Australia. There, because they have a chalked center line, I can find lots of longitudinal ad latitudinal lines from only partially erased chalk, in both of the directions, from other setups of the rinks where the greens keeper has worked to make the wear and tear on the rink even out.. It is easy to select a point on one of these lines or even an intersection of two of these lines that handily serves as a stare point. Not quite as good as this is the situation bowling on many Canadian grass rinks (they don’t use chalked center lines). On these the grass is often uneven, with brown spots , bare spots, brown spots, and partially discolored spots that can serve as stare points. On artificial surfaces it is harder to find a distinct mark for a stare point, but at least when the green is outside there are stray leaves, plant seeds, bits of sand and even some discolored spots to aim at. The most difficult surface of all is an artificial carpet that is indoors. There I find virtually nothing to fixate on. As a result, I am compelled to bowl at some mark  on or behind the forward ditch. With the winter weather now upon us in Canada, my only bowling opportunity is indoors on such a carpet.
Even though I am only practicing (waiting to leave for Australia next week) I know my  game is seriously deteriorating under the conditions. There is just no useful stare point and I don’t have that feel required to just deliver at a precise angle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.