Search This Blog

Friday, May 31, 2013

Bowling Long is Much Harder on Grass



As regular readers know, at my home club, James Gardens in Toronto Canada, I bowl outdoors on a very fast synthetic surface. My tournament matches however are played predominantly on natural grass. For this reason, I am also a member of the Willowdale Lawn Bowling Club so I can practice on that surface. When I went to Willowdale this morning, the grass was still wet with dew. I was using a groundsheet. I found it very difficult to deliver, much less accurately deliver, a bowl that maximum distance: from two meters from the back ditch to within two meters of the front ditch.
My chosen style is to bowl using only the potential energy from a high backswing, without using too much muscular energy. My arm muscles are only used to control my arm to try to maintain the aim line. My hope is that this way I will still be able to be fresh enough for multiple matches in a day even as I get even older. On the synthetic surface, I had been successfully controlling my length by hesitating at the top of a calibrated backswing, stepping firmly forward, and then swinging through to release the bowl. This worked well for the James Gardens synthetic surface because just a moderate 45 degree-from-the-vertical backswing was all that was needed for the longest jack; however, at Willowdale, on the wet green, a backswing of about 90 degrees, almost to the horizontal, seemed to be needed and this tended to throw off my line and cause me to bowl narrow too often. One solution seems to be not to pause, even hesitatingly, at the top of my backswing but to step forward briskly, plant that forward foot, and get the bowl grassed. For some reason this speeding up of the motion increased the bowl’s travel and reduced the deviations from my stare point. The reason for the greater distance, may be,  that my forward step tends to be longer when the pendulum motion is continuous. Only time and trials will substantiate or challenge this remedy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.