Search This Blog

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Delivery at Lawn Bowls: Plant that Forward Stepping Foot



The other day I was working on my draw shot as a good novice lead bowler should.
 My left-right accuracy was not as good as it had been the day before. It wasn’t because I did not have as good a stare point . Both days I had laid down a  3-4 meter long string on the surface of the rink from the mat towards the head and was attempting to lay my bowl right down the length of that string. The problem was that the previous day I was for some reason  just more consistently right on top of that line. If there had been no string I would not have noticed that the two days differed by how close I was coming to my aim line because that difference was often no more than two centimeters. Some experimentation, focusing on different aspects of my deliver, identified the key difference: I was not firmly planting the foot with which I stepped forward before starting the forward pendulum motion of my delivery arm. When I made sure that my stepping forward was complete before the forward swing began it made that slight difference in accuracy following the aim line and the bowls returned to being more consistently close to the target.
From now on making sure my forward foot is well planted will be the first thing I check when things start to go wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your own insights and experience.